The Educational Support program will prepare graduates to work effectively with learners of all ages with exceptionalities. Through this program, students will develop a variety of educational interventions and techniques that will allow them to become contributing members of an educational team working with learners with exceptionalities. They will experience real-life opportunities that connect theory and practice through in-class projects and engaging and meaningful work-integrated learning (WIL) experiences.
- Provide educational support in compliance with pertinent education-related legislation, standards, regulations, and policies; health and safety legislation and regulations; as well as organizational policies, practices, and procedures.
- Develop and implement strategies to promote and support positive school climates that contribute to a safe, caring, and secure educational setting.
- Collaborate with members of the Individual Education Plan (IEP) team by assisting in the development and revision of the IEPs of learners with exceptionalities.
- Implement components of educational support programs of instruction under the direction and support of the IEP team and/or relevant members of the school community.
- Lead by example to promote empathetic, positive, and prosocial behaviour in all learners to facilitate the development of social competence in learners with exceptionalities in accordance with their IEPs.
- Promote the development of independence in, and provide assistance to, learners with exceptionalities in their performance of routine activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs) in accordance with their IEPs.